Category Archives: World News

Christopher Dorner’s Manifesto Ex-Navy/Ex-LAPD Cop Killer Facebook Disturbing Writings

Christopher Doren with Chief BrattonChristopher Dorner, the shooting suspect who allegedly went on a rampage shooting three officers and killing one Thursday, wrote an online manifesto on his Facebook page detailing his violent plan.

The long and disturbing writings threaten to harm police officials and their families. It also makes references to Dorner’s former position as an LAPD officer, before he was fired in 2008.He unravels how the LAPD covered up and protects its officers when they commit crimes against civilians. He names high ranking LAPD officers and officials in precincts, offices, and jails.

“The Violence of action will be HIGH,” Dorner wrote. “I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty … You will now live the life of the prey … I have the strength and benefits of being unpredictable, unconventional, and unforgiving.”

More than 40 protection details were assigned to possible targets of Dorner. Police spokesman Cmdr. Andrew Smith said he couldn’t remember a larger manhunt by the department.

The hunt spread from California to Nevada, Arizona and Mexico, said a U.S. Marshals Service official who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to publicly comment.

READ the full story here, and the entire manifesto below.

NBA needs to approve Dwight Howard to L.A.!

graphic by MR.LARGE.2012   Click to Download

ESPNand other news organizations reported Thursday night that a four-team blockbuster trade that will send Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers is complete, pending NBA approval.

“He’s ecstatic … just incredibly happy to be moving on to the Lakers, moving out of Orlando,” ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith said of a conversation with Howard. “He’s just anxious to put the events of the past behind him. … His attitude is this is second home to him already (because Howard has spent time in Los Angeles rehabilitating his back).

“One of the things he told me, ‘I can assure you I’m happy to be here.’ ”

The trade is set to go down like this, ESPN reports: The Lakers will receive Howard from the Orlando Magic; the Philadelphia 76ers will receive Lakers centerAndrew Bynum and Magic guard Jason Richardson; the Denver Nuggets will receive 76ers guard Andre Iguodala; and the Magic will get Nuggets guard Arron Afflalo and forward Al Harrington, 76ers center Nikola Vucevic and forwardMaurice Harkless and one protected future first-round pick from each of the other three teams.

The Lakers have a long history of acquiring elite centers:

  • They received Wilt Chamberlain in 1968 from the 76ers for three players who were not better than Wilt Chamberlain.
  • They got Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (and Walt Wesley) in 1975 from the Milwaukee Bucks for four players who were not better than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
  • They signed Shaquille O’Neal away from the Magic as a free agent in 1996.
  • They traded for Pau Gasol in 2008, sending the Memphis Grizzlies three players and two draft picks, none of whom ended up better than Pau Gasol. (Though Marc Gasol, one of the pieces of the trade, is an excellent NBA center in his own right.)

Now Howard joins the list and joins Pau Gasol in the post for the Lakers.

“Lakers did it again, getting a center. … It’s a great deal for the Lakers, obviously,” Hall of Famer Chris Mullin said on ESPN. “This catapulted the Lakers next to, if not above, the Oklahoma City Thunder.”

The trade still needs to be approved by the league. ESPN Los Angeles reports that a trade call with the league office has been scheduled for Friday.

If approved, this would drastically change the Lakers’ starting five from last season to Kobe BryantSteve Nash (acquired from the Phoenix Suns last month), Metta World Peace, Gasol, and Howard.

Howard skipped his annual camp this week in Orlando while rehabbing in Los Angeles. Campers were given refunds.

Original post by By Simon Samano, USA TODAY

NASA: Satellite is down – But where?

NASA UARS Satalite

Pieces of a defunct satellite that plummeted to Earth have settled, NASA said Saturday morning.

The space agency said the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite “is down,” according to the space agency’s Twitter page. NASA said debris fell to Earth between 11:23 p.m. ET Friday and 1:09 a.m. ET Saturday, but it was not immediately clear where the pieces may have landed.

NASA said the satellite pierced through the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean, but the exact time and location were not known.

The sample capsule from Japan’s Hayabusa spacecraft became a fireball as it fell to Earth last June.

About two dozen pieces of the satellite were expected to survive the crash through the Earth’s atmosphere.

Late Friday night, NASA predicted satellite parts would pass “over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans.”

“The risk to public safety is very remote,” NASA said.

The 26 pieces expected to survive the descent — made of stainless steel, titanium and beryllium that won’t burn — ranged from about 10 pounds to hundreds of pounds, according to NASA.

Re-entry

“The U.S. is very safe from (the satellite) … It’s final orbit did not cross the United States,” the space agency tweeted early Saturday.

But reports of suspected sightings emerged from San Antonio, Texas, where a TV photographer caught images of bright objects darting rapidly in the night sky, and from Hawaii, where Robert Jeffcoat saw what he believed were two chunks from the satellite.

Jeffcoat was running errands when the first flying object left a thick, white trail that lingered in the sky for about 20 minutes, he said. A second object followed the same path and was “massive,” he said.

“It’s was like a comet, but smoke,” he said. “I’m guessing it landed in the ocean, the way it was going.”

Mark Matney of NASA’s Orbital Debris team in Houston said before spacial rubbish fell that there was no way to know exactly where the pieces would come down.

“Part of the problem is, the spacecraft is tumbling in unpredictable ways, and it is very difficult to very precisely pinpoint where it’s coming down even right before the re-entry,” Matney said.

The Federal Aviation Administration released an advisory Thursday warning pilots about the falling satellite, calling it a potential hazard.

“It is critical that all pilots/flight crew members report any observed falling space debris to the appropriate (air traffic control) facility and include position, altitude, time and direction of debris observed,” the FAA statement said.

The FAA said warnings of this sort typically are sent out to pilots concerning specific hazards they may encounter during flights such as air shows, rocket launches, kites and inoperable radio navigational aids.

NASA said space debris the size of the satellite’s components re-enters the atmosphere about once a year. Harvard University astrophysicist Jonathan McDowell noted that the satellite is far from being the biggest space junk to come back.

“This is nothing like the old Skylab scare of the ’70s, when you had a 70-ton space station crashing out of the sky,” McDowell said.

Pieces of Skylab came down in western Australia in 1979.

Jeffcoat said he was amazed his home of Paia, Maui, seemed to be an ideal place to watch hunks of a satellite rain from the sky.

“Off all the places in the world where it could hit, here it was, in Maui,” he said. “It was quite weird.”

Ecuadorian tribes vs Chevron -Texaco: Oil giant

For the last 18 years Chevron and a number of Ecuadorian tribes have been battling in court over one of the biggest environmental scandals in the world.

Following an Ecuadorian court ruling which ordered Chevron to pay $9.5 billion in damages to the plaintiffs, the oil company pushed the case back to New York, winning a judgment which prevented the enforcement of the Ecuadorian ruling.

Meanwhile the Amazon Defense Coalition said thousands of people are being affected by cancer and other illnesses from pollution and contamination.

“It’s considered to be one of the largest environmental disasters in the world on record,” said Karen Hinton, spokesperson for the Amazon Defense Coalition.

Local tribes in Amazon’s forests have been battling for compensation for damage caused by Texaco – a company owned by Chevron.

Billions of gallons of toxic waste dumped onto Ecuador’s soil and waters ways causing casualties and serious environmental damage.

“Over 1,400 people have died of cancer, and thousands more have died of other illnesses,” said Hinton.

An Ecuadorian court ruled Chevron must pay $9.5 billion in damages, a sum the company could easily afford.

“Though it’s certainly a large amount of money for you and me, this is something that could certainly be absorbed by Chevron, just as BP has been able to absorb the 20 billion or more cost of practically destroying the gulf of Mexico,” said Brad Johnson, the climate editor at Thinkprogress.com.

However, absorbing is what one New York judge chose not to do by defending Chevron, and blocking the Ecuadorian court’s ruling from being enforced in the US and globally. The judge cited harm to Chevron’s business as the reason for his decision.

“That’s just nonsense. That’s really what it is,” remarked Johnson.

Why would a New York judge meddle in a legal battle Chevron initially insisted take place in Ecuador?

“Obviously it’s a US company, they have huge interests here, they are capable of very severe pressure against those that wish in any way to harm their interest. And of course they have friends in a lot of high places,” said author and lawyer Eva Golinger.

While Ecuador’s tribal members certainly do not, said Greg Palast, an investigative journalist and filmmaker. He said Chevron has been calling all the shots in the case.

“They said don’t try the case in the United States, so they sent it down to Ecuador. Then – they said – now we don’t like the case in Ecuador because of a bad ruling, so now try it in the United States,” Palast commented.

Now the multinational corporation is accusing Ecuadorian villagers and farmers of trying to rob the company’s pockets.

“We have been seeing this fraud go on for the last 20 years – we continue to uncover it. We will continue to pursue several options both internationally and here in the U.S. courts,” said Morgan Crinklaw, Chevron Spokesperson in San Francisco.

Legal experts site double standards, as dumping toxic waste on American soil is a crime that no company would be allowed to get away with.

“Corporations don’t ever want to be held accountable for their actions, especially in other countries. Absolutely, there is a double standard,” explained Eva Golinger.

If Ecuador won the case, a legal precedent would be set: Chevron’s and other oil giants’ biggest nightmare.

“If they pay in Ecuador, they are going to have to pay in Mexico, they’re going to have to pay in Nigeria, they’re going to have to pay in Indonesia. Wherever they have gone, and spoiled, and destroyed the environment. They wanna kill this right now, so it never comes up again anywhere,” said Palast.

The battle between the oil giant and Ecuador looks set to rage on for many more years. Ecuador’s defense team said as many as 10,000 more people may be afflicted by cancer if the damages are not taken care of immediately.

Han Shan, the coordinator at the Clean Up Ecuador Campaign of Amazon Watch explained the case is highly concerning, because after a great deal of legal preceding and a verdict in Ecuador, Chevron continues its policies leading to a number of deaths and illnesses in Ecuador to this day.

In addition, Chevron was the first to initially request the case be heard in Ecuador, but when the verdict was not in their favor they ran back to the US to a judge who would support their side.

Just last week, Watson addressed a group of protestors outside the company’s annual stockholder meeting, telling them that he shared their ideals, but that their view of the company was dead wrong.

“I want to remind you that our fight in Ecuador is for life and justice,” Humberto Piaguaje, a resident of Ecuador’s oil patch, told Watson and the shareholders. “You must own up to your responsibility to the people in the Amazon.”

Five protestors were arrested at last years’ annual meeting. There were no arrests this year.

Last year Chevron was caught trying to pay off freelance journalist Mary Cudahee, to spy on the plaintiffs. She later broke the story in the Atlantic.
“It’s an extraordinary over reach and I think an abuse of power by a Judge,” Shan argued. “I think actually increasingly we are going to see Chevron shareholders telling management that it’s time for them to put this horrific controversy behind them, and step up to the plate, take responsibility for the devastation and pay up.”

Video provided by http://rt.com

The story of lawsuit by tens of thousands of Ecuadorans against Chevron over contamination of the Ecuadorean Amazon.

Click here NETFLIX “Crude” 2009 104 minutes

Filmmaker Joe Berlinger’s provocative documentary explores the ongoing battle waged by 30,000 indigenous Ecuadorans and their lawyers against Chevron for dumping billions of gallons of toxic oil waste into the Amazon. Berlinger examines the environmental catastrophe — dubbed the “Amazon Chernobyl” — from all sides, following the drama as it moves from the contamination site to the courtroom and beyond, even landing on the cover of Vanity Fair.

Osama Bin Laden DEAD, Killed in Pakistan

Osama Bin Laden is dead, President Obama announced Sunday night, in a televised address to the nation. The U.S. is in possession of his body, a person familiar with the situation told the Associated Press late Sunday.

The announcement that Obama would speak came at 9:45 p.m., less than an hour before Obama was initially scheduled to go on the air. The unusual hour, and the fact that the White House gave no details about the topic, set off a flurry of speculation.

Two senior counter terrorism officials confirmed to the Associated Press that bin Laden was killed in Pakistan last week. One said bin Laden was killed in a ground operation, not by a Predator drone. Both said the operation was based on U.S. intelligence, and both said the U.S. is in possession of bin Laden’s body.

Officials long believed bin Laden, the most wanted man in the world, was hiding in a mountainous region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

Ted Williams: Homeless Man With Radio Golden Voice Getting Job Offers

Ted Williams

The new year’s first viral video star is Ted Williams, a homeless man from Ohio, whose amazing, radio-perfect voice has awed people from around the world.

Williams was known for panhandling with a handmade sign announcing his “God-given gift of a voice.” After hearing about him, The Columbus Dispatch paper stopped by one of his known panhandling haunts to record him saying voice-over phrases, like “coming up next!”

The bedraggled Williams’ appearance only made his voice seem that much richer. Days later, millions have watched the video.

Now that Williams’ voice has been heard, he’s making appearances — he was on Ohio radio this morning, and he’ll be on NBC’s “Today Show” on Thursday — and the job prospects seem to be pouring in. Here are a few of the new possible opportunities for Williams.

* The Cleveland Cavaliers: A representative of the Cavs called into “The Morning Zoo” on WNCI, a local Ohio station, this morning to offer Williams a full-time voice-over job and a house.
* The NFL: No offer has been made yet, but a director of post-production from the NFL told The Columbus Dispatch, “My boss said to me: ‘If you don’t get him hired, you’re fired.’ … I can’t make any guarantees, but I’d love to get him some work.”
* The Ohio Credit Union League: Also on WNCI this morning, Williams was offered a $10,000 opportunity to do voice-over work for the Ohio Credit Union League, pending a background check.
* MTV: Someone claiming to be from MTV called into “The Morning Zoo” to say that they’d love to work with Williams.
* ESPN: According to WNCI, ESPN has expressed interest in Williams, too.
* Radio: A Pennsylvania radio station is apparently interested in Williams.
* Giving back: The television station WBNS-TV wants to use Williams as a narrator for One Day To End Homelessness, a telethon planned for Jan. 31.

Watch the video that launched a thousand job offers for Ted Williams: