Most people with The new 2.3.5 update have lost ROOT unless they use The Torpedo Root for the Motorola Photon 4G.
Root your Photon with Torpedo Method created by Egdan from Xda-developers. I followed the modified step by step tutorial from Briefmobile. Make sure to head over to the XDA-Developers forums to thank master developer Edgan for his efforts that rooted this device. See the directions after the break.
Root Motorola Photon 4G
Prerequisites Updated drivers 9/6/2012
- Navigate to the Google Playstore and install the “Superuser” application.
- Alternatively, install a Superuser .apk file from here.
- Extract the Root file to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled “root”
- Place the root file (do not unzip) in C:\root folder
- Open the command prompt (Start >> run “cmd” >> enter)
- Type the following commands
- cd C:/root (press enter)
- adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp (press enter)
- adb shell (press enter)
- cd /data/tmp (press enter)
- /bin/tar xf /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.tar (press enter)
- /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.sh (press enter)
- /data/tmp/install-su.sh (press enter)
- Congratulations! You are rooted!
- check root with any root checker apk from Google Playstore.
I also used MrXfinityguy video tutorial on YouTube.